Monday, September 20, 2010

The Adventure Continues...

As many of you may know, I am currently in Panama due to some ear issues I have been having since arriving in Suriname. Panama is the Washington DC Peace Corps approved medical facility for Central America, South America and the Caribbean. It has been a frustrating week with countless doctor appointments in a country I have never been to before with people I do not know from Adam. However, when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade, right? So, I have been trying to make the best out of this opportunity to experience Panama and enjoy incredible luxuries like hot water, an indoor toilet and air conditioning.

At the top of my list was, of course, the Panama Canal. Did you know the canal was under either full or joint U.S. control from 1914 when it was completed until December 1999? As a result, the influence of the United States in Panama is extraordinary.
Next on my list- eating delicious food. Don't get me wrong. Ryan and I have been exceptionally creative with our jungle cuisine but Suriname sadly just does not have a lot to offer for a curious palate. Mexican food, real sandwiches with lunch meat and sliced cheese, fresh fruit, sushi, Root Beer... I even salivated for fake Mexican food- Taco Bell!
That is dark chocolate covered bananas and strawberries at one of the very upper class malls in Panama City.

I went to Panama Viejo to see the ruins of the first Spanish colony in Panama.
Then I followed history's steps to Casco Viejo, where the colony moved after Panama Viejo was destroyed in 1671 by a pirate named Henry Morgan.This part of the city is full of old, deteriorating buildings that people still live in with a few beautifully restored ones in between.
And I went to church at La Iglesia del Carmen. Catholic mass in Spanish brought me back to memories of my homestay in Argentina.
Panama City has some extremely nice areas but I have been told the country outside of the city is quite the contrast.  For those of you wondering, I am doing fine and should be returning to Suriname within a week, hopefully healthy as a horse.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice place to visit! I hope you get to return to Suriname soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy you got a short break from Suriname food AND got to see the canal. You can tell me stories next time we talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I loved those pictures! Panama looks gorgeous :o) I'm glad you were able to enjoy your time there!

    ReplyDelete