Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Christmas in a Nutshell

The week before Christmas: All of the school kids put on a Christmas pageant. They sang songs in Sranan Tongo, Saramaccan, Dutch and English. Talk about multiple languages! It was really fun to go.

A couple days before Christmas: The women cleaned up the yard around the church and asked Ryan and I if we would help put up their Christmas tree. I am sure some missionary gave them one back in the 70s. I had never put one together like that before- branch by branch!

Random fact: I helped put up and decorate no fewer than 5 Christmas trees this year. Personal record.
Women cleaning
Ryan and Tante Fe working on the tree
Christmas Eve: We went to church twice. Yep, twice. Once in the evening around 7ish, then back again at 11:30ish. Tradition dictates that everyone wear white (if you have it).

All the kids received a lit candle to walk back to their homes in the dark.
 In between church, Ryan and I exchanged gifts. We decided to set a 15 SRD limit (less than 5 USD) to buy each other a gift at the local convenience store. We already had Christmas and presents with our families while we were home, so no need to feel sorry for us. We just thought it would be fun to have something to open.
Unwrapping my gift
Christmas Day: Can you guess? Our village went to church again. Sidenote: Lefurny keeps up with the latest styles by importing all her dresses from Grandma Barb in America. I do my part with the matching hair beads!

Day after Christmas: 2nd Christmas. Yes, we went to church.

Click here to see more Christmas pictures. Spoiler: You have GOT to see this tree.

1 comment:

  1. I actually have put together a tree at my old work, branch by branch.

    "Sidenote: Lefurny keeps up with the latest styles by importing all her dresses from Grandma Barb in America." <---- HILARIOUS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete