Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures!

Our host mom showed me how to cook "Bami", a Javanese noodle dish that is very popular here. From left to right: Denzel, our host brother, Brigita, our host mom, me, Oozlen, our host sister (well, cousin, technically), and Diosa, our host sister.
 A side view of our host family's house. The front area surrounded by shutters is a porch. The back green window that is closed is to our room. The handsome boy posing in his towel is our host brother Denzel.  Our home for the last 2 months and only two weeks more. The structure on the front right is the gangasa, or outdoor cookhouse.
Our host mom is teaching me how to use her sewing machine to hem my new koosus (the cloth material that Saramaacan women wrap around their waists as skirts). I will be wearing these everyday in my village. Once I get there it will just be sewing by hand if I buy any more.
 Family picture! Back: Ryan, Josef, our host dad, Oozlen, our host cousin, Brigita, our host mom, Justin, our host brother Front: Janeeghel, host cousin, Diosa, host sister, Denzel, host brother, Denielson, host brother
 A sweet picture I took of my host sister Diosa in the mirror of our host dad's motorcycle.

Our host family on Emancipation Day! Adults, left to right: Rai, our host cousin, Josef, our host dad, Oozlen, our host cousin, me, Ryan, Brigita, our host mom. Kids, left to right: Diosa, our host sister, Denzel, our host brother, Janeghaal, our host sister, Denielson, our host brother, and Justin, our host brother, who is about to dash out of the picture to kick his soccer ball.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! You two are so tall compared to everyone else!! Thanks for posting the pics. They're great! I especially like the one of the little girl in the bucket, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SOOOO proud of your sewing!!! :o) btw, you just look gorgeous with short hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That'd be a little boy in a bucket. And yes, Dana, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little boys are so handsome.

    What's the story behind the Obama poster?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fa Waka means "what's up?" and I found that poster on the wall of a classroom at a secondary school. I just thought it was interesting so I snapped the picture. And thanks Beans!

    ReplyDelete