Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dolphins in Suriname!

 While we were in the city, the U.S. Ambassador to Suriname, John Nay, extended an invitation to Peace Corps for any volunteers to go on a river tour to search for dolphins with him and some of his friends/colleagues. That is when I learned that Suriname has dolphins. I know a lot about Saramaccan culture and the jungle interior but Suriname is an extremely diverse country, both in people and ecosystems. It was a wonderful experience to see another side of the country that I have called my home for the last two years. It also did this California girl’s spirit good to walk along the small beach and listen to the sound of the waves (even if they were a muddy brown instead of my sky blue).
"I love Suriname"
Not exactly a cruise ship but we loved it!
 If any of you are thinking, “wow, is that normal for Peace Corps volunteers to hang out with ambassadors?” No, I do not think it is but this is one of the perks of serving in a small country. Plus, in my opinion, Ambassador Nay is a genuinely amiable guy, excellent host and huge supporter of Peace Corps.
Ryan, I and Ambassador Nay
For more pictures, including a few from a fishing village that we visited, click here.

1 comment:

  1. It’s never too early to think about the Third Goal. Check out Peace Corps Experience: Write & Publish Your Memoir. Oh! If you want a good laugh about what PC service was like in a Spanish-speaking country back in the 1970’s, read South of the Frontera: A Peace Corps Memoir.

    ReplyDelete