Monday, March 19, 2012

Flutterbies …aka Butterflies

I made a “bell list”. I called it a “bucket list” at first but Ryan did not appreciate the insinuation that I might die before I did the things on the list when, in fact, they are things that I want to do in Suriname before we move back to the states. So, I compromised and am calling it my “bell list” since it is a list of things that I want to do before I ring the bell at the Peace Corps office which symbolizes the end of my service.

Anyways, here is my first bell list blog post. Did you all know that Suriname has a butterfly park where they not only have exotic butterflies on display in a museum (dead) and a netted atrium (alive) but also breed tons of different species and then sell them to zoos and exhibits in the U.S. and Europe?

 First, they grow all of the different types of plants that the butterfly larvae eat. They place the butterfly eggs on the plants so when the larvae hatch, they can start eating. After the larvae turns into a caterpillar and forms a cocoon, the workers pick the cocoons up and put them in a holding area, then hang them upside down in a different area for the butterfly to emerge. Or, they export the cocoons. I think that’s pretty impressive. Especially since Suriname is home to the morpho butterfly- an iridescent blue one. As I mentioned in a previous post (The Amazon: terrifying and awesome), I see them frequently and they are beautiful! They are believed to be a sign of good luck.
Morpho butterfly- almost impossible to catch in a picture due to its erratic flight pattern
These are all cocoons- of multiple shapes, sizes and colors.
Newly out of his cocoon

Ryan and I enjoyed our trip to the butterfly farm and hope you like our pictures. There are more awesome ones Here.

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! Enjoyed looking at them.

    ReplyDelete